Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Townhouse Association Lists new dangerous dog breeds

Minnesota Townhome Associations
Some thoughts on my townhouse associations's new list of dangerous dog breeds
I just re-upped for another year of my townhouse association. They have a new list of "dangerous and restricted dog breeds."This year's list is:
Chow
Dalmation
German Shepherd
Pit Bull Terrier
Rottweiler
Border Collie
St. Bernard
First, some thoughts about the dogs NOT on the list: Dobermans didn't even make the list. Perhaps they haven't re-run some of those Doberman--Evil Vicious Killer Dog movies that were so popular in the 80s; perhaps a whole generation has no idea that they are Evil Vicious Killer Dogs and in league with Damien The Omen Child. Have pit bull terriers have replaced Dobermans as the Evil Vicious Killer Dogs? I noticed that Rhodesian Ridgebacks were on last year's list but not this year's. I guess the stories about the woman who supposedly was attacked by a vicious "gang" of Rhodesian Ridgebacks have faded. Come to think of it, I haven't seen as many Rhodesian Ridgebacks as I used to. Perhaps the pit bull terriers ate all the Ridgebacks.
Second, St. Bernard's????? Who has ever heard of a dangerous St. Bernard? Perhaps one might drown you in a pool of drool.
Third, Border Collies????? What will they do, herd you to death?
Fourth, what about those of us with rescue dogs of unknown parentage? They used to have a Mixed Breed/Unknowncategory with a size range. My old dog was a Mixed Breed/Unknown--Shorthair(60-80 lbs). That was about as accurate as a person could get with any certainty.
My present dog, Buddha, would fall into the same category except at the 50 lb. range. But, no, no, no, this year I had to choose a category for him. Underdog Rescue of St. Louis Park's best guess for Buddha was German Shepherd and Boxer. It may well be accurate; it also may be totally wrong. I didn't dare choose German Shepherd because that's on the association's "dangerous" list. I didn't want to choose Boxer because if he were lost and wandering around the complex, Boxer is not the description that would come to anyone's mind. So I took the latest guess from people at the dog park and listed Buddha as a Cattle Dog mix. Next year, the association will probably put Cattle Dogs on the list.
I think to label any dog breed as "dangerous" is ridiculous. There are specific dogs who are dangerous, and a lot of owners who are incompetent and/or abusive and neglectful. But it's wrong to label an entire breed this way.
For the record, I love Dobermans and my favorite part of the movie "The Omen" is when the nanny brings the Doberman to the house, and Gregory Peck is a bit bemused by the fact that a non-family member would bring a large dog into the house.
Written by ari_1965

http://www.townhome.pro http://www.landscape.pro
Steve Hoogenakker Steve@Landscape.pro

No comments: